Friday, December 31, 2004

Happy New Year!

We celebrated new year with a party (music is blasting off just beside my room right NOW!)

How to use occassions like new year to maintain your network:

Occassions like new year are invaluable to create opportunities to get in touch with ex-bosses, friends and important people (personal and professional). Meet ppl and write to as may as possible. Catch: Dont just BCC ppl. Not many will reply to your mail. Nor will they consider that you remembered them. Even if they reciprocate wishes, they will send you another BCC! A personalized mail will take time but will pay you off in terms of relations.
This is quite evident in the mails I received today.

- -

I got in touch with an ex-boss and a great friend and sought advice on career decisions I should take. His replies clarified a few things. A gist of his suggestions:

Large companies will slot ppl into a narrowly defined role and broad-based experience will be a challenge. Getting into smaller companies and in specific roles will give me the exposure and contacts I am looking for. Also BPO services will get commoditized and KPO srvices are likely to sustain steam longer.

- Chanakya

1 comment:

Chaitanya Sagar said...

Sudhanshu,

I am sorry if my post meant "any role in KPO translates to broad based experience". That is not what I meant. If you re read the post I mentioned "specific roles".

Specific roles - I did not define this term. "Exec Asst To CEO" is a role I am looking for. I hope (and ISB alum and my friends tell me that) this role gives broad based experience. This role will give you a broad based experience in any org - any industry (subject to certain conditions.. i will leave it to you figure those out).

KPO - This is an industry choice. Getting into KPO does not automatically translate to such experience unless you get into such roles.

Hope this is helpful. If you want to discuss more, you can either post a comment or email me.

- Chanakya