Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Tsunami effect, placements and networking!

Tsunami waves have had definite impact on me. Everytime a natural disaster occurs in India, as a country, we are equally unprepared and admin machinery takes time to respond to such disasters. After Orissa cyclone, Rajat Gupta and others have formed a disaster recovery mechanism. I am not sure what happened to that!

Last time I thought about such disasters, I thought of going to the place of disaster in person to volunteer to help victims. However, many oncoming placement deadlines have stopped me. To me, this is just an excuse. Is it going to be different next time? (Hope such disasters dont happen in the first place!)

I applied to a few more companies. Some roles to which I applied are in sync with my career plans. Some of them are not. This set me thinking. Do placements mislead students? Does every one apply to companies (and later join them) based on good plans on what they are going to do next? Do students explore future work environments enough before making a career decision? If yes, how can we explain many MBAs shifting from the first company within a year? Based on such thoughts, I am focussing on companies that are in sync with my career plans. I also wrote to my ex-boss, friend and guide to help me vet my approach.

More networking and gnan - I joined a very good group India strategy think tank . There are lot of good discussions out there. And I reunited with a good old friend in that group. I am going to enjoy being in that group.

- Chanakya

2 comments:

Jaxon S said...

Hi, I was hitting the "next blog" button and yours came up. Up till now I still find it difficult to believe that a disaster of this magnitude has taken place.

Finance Enthusiast said...

Buddy

Its nice to know that u r one of those people who are emotionally affected by the Tsunami effect. But do u really want another disaster to happen so that ur wish to volunteer materialises...anyways dont take it too hard!

And the yahoo grp is a good one indeed. Thanks for posting it on ur blog.