Friday, April 07, 2006

Kanakambaram (Fire cracker)

Image hosting by Photobucket
Feb 28, 2006. Kothagudem.

The name Kanakambaram is kanaka (gold) and ambaram (precious) stitched together. Is it surprising that women like this flower?

Our house in Kothagudem is home to many Kanakambaram plants. Just opposite the 'front door,' as we call it, and the slider for my dad's Vespa, there are a few of them. I have been seeing these flowers since my childhood. Frankly, I didn't see the beauty in this flower until I shot this picture. It turned out better than what I thought it will. I like the pop-out effect--it reminds me of the palm in Kalanjali's logo. And the contrasting colors.

The scientifically or religiously inclined can get more info in these two reads:
An article on Kanambaram (The Hindu)
South is famous for flowers

No comments: