Thursday, April 20, 2006

A great long working weekend

What will you do if you had a long weekend, but had to work most of it? On Sunday last, I was particular to salvage it. I picked my camera and got on my bike. I wanted to get to the Marve road and find some good spots to shoot. I found ‘Kamala Talab’-- a pond near by the Malad link road--a couple of weeks back. I was hunting for another fish. The problem was that I found many. The Marve road led to a beach by the same name which is home to a fishing community. Empty boats tell you the story. Evening is not a time for great fishing action but for a couple of fishermen sorting their produce.Image hosting by Photobucket

Unlike a usual Mumbai get away, I could not find many people around. There were some. But not up to the Mumbai standards. It seemed like a perfect setting—not having to wait in a queue.

Marve beach, to me, was truly beautiful. The ball of orange slowly and silently dipping into the blue expanse and vanishing for the day swept us off our feet. Good for them yaar! Atleast people can, after a gruelling day's work, amble on the shore and the let the breeze recharge their frayed nerves. I miss it. (Gargi Chowdhury)

The beach is famous. Actually there are two beaches. The other one is usually crowded as it can house more and commercial interests ensure they use their capacity. When you go there the first time, you are likely to miss the Marve beach and go to‘theresort’ as the sign boards all point to the second one. May be that is good. Let the madding crowd to to the Resort. And the value hunters to the Marve beach.

The people there are friendly. They asked me to take their pictures. I was happy to oblige. Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

I spent an hour or so taking pictures, talking to people, and bathing in the evening sun light. And it was time to get back to work. I turned around and beauty of the sun set in my rear window struck me. I just then packed my camera. And I was lazy to reassemble it. But I knew, I wouldn’t let such an opportunity go.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The gradient [This rope connected a boat to the anchor in the sea]
Image hosting by Photobucket

[CS: A fisherman sleeping on road on his fishing net unaware of the world around him.]

Image hosting by Photobucket

16 April, 2006. Marve Beach. Mumbai.

A post on Versova beach: http://trivialmatters.blogspot.com/2006/04/versova-morning.html
Information on beaches in Mumbai: http://www.mumbaisuburbs.com/mumbai-tourist/mumbai-sights-beaches-other.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh great work, you've got a really good eye for photography. I especially like the last one.

You put these up on flickr, that where I host images.

And yes thanks for the link

Chaitanya Sagar said...

Thanks Akshay.