Saturday, February 26, 2005

Nuvvostanante Nenoddanana!

I saw a Telugu movie ‘Nuvvostanante Nenoddanana?’ (If you want to come, will I object?). It is a good movie with a very different story. A guy, son of a wealthy expatriate from London, comes to India for a friend’s marriage and falls in love with bride’s friend. The girl’s brother objects to it and imposes a condition that the guy should stay with them and cultivate paddy. The challenge is to produce a bag more than what the girl’s brother will. The guy goes on to achieve the feat and win girl’s hand.

Is that just a movie story or can we achieve such a feat? I am not talking about winning a girl (or a guy). Can we stay close to our people and know their difficulties? Is it necessary for us to be better managers without staying close to our people? (Have you heard of HLL’s training program?) Can we both stay close to difficulties of Indian villagers and still excel in corporate world? What does that involve? Does one have to live a dual life… one at work and another outside?

Prabhudeva, a well-known dancer and an actor directed the movie. He did a great job and all the songs bear a ‘Prabhudeva imprint’.

The main characters in this movie are surprisingly young (obviously?). I am usually sad when I know that folks much younger than me achieve much higher than what I do. There was a time when I first heard of Sachin Tendular and comforted myself that I am younger and it was “OK” not to achieve as much as he did. But later on, I know about lots of other youngsters who achieved a lot and I am the same guy who thinks that every thing will work out and I will be successful. But the later never happened. Koneru Hampi, Sachin, Sania, Peas and so on went on to achieve. I remain the same I watched Ankit Fadia’s interview on CNBC recently and felt very inadequate. “Dude, capable people go on achieve. You are still stuck here looking for jobs and career paths”.
But yesterday, there is a new trend in me. I somehow started feeling happy for those folks.

1 comment:

Chaitanya Sagar said...

I saw a few comments on my blog tryig to extract some placement related information from me. I hope you have noticed a change in my blog that it ceased to in 'broadcast' mode and went into a more 'introspect' one. This is NOT a blog that publishes ISB related placement or MBA info. Please refer to the intro of this blog to know what this blog is all about. Good luck!